Naughty Dog and Iron Galaxy continues to plug at fixing the issues in The Last of US Part 1 PC. Unfortunately, it seems they are still a long way to go.
The company shared patch notes for Patch v18.104.22.168. While the studio stated that Steam Deck compatibility was a lesser concern, they did make some fixes for Steam Deck. There are also some separate notes for changes made to the Epic Games Store version of the game.
It isn’t clear what differences the Steam and Epic Games Store versions of The Last of US Part 1 PC could have, but these may not be connected to the base game files as it could have something to do with the parts of the game that need to interact with their respective game clients.
These notes also indicate specific fixes made for AMD RX 5700 and RX 6600 GPUs. This may strike you as ironic, because as we know, AMD makes the CPUs for PlayStation 5. It’s reasonable to assume there was enough differentiation in the PlayStation 5 hardware and what is in these GPUs to cause issues in the first place.
As you can imagine, the game is far from playable. As reported by Push Square, this update comes in at a hefty 14 GB, making it something akin to a full game update.
However, many players continue to complain about issues. In particular, The Last of US Part 1 PC still throttles players’ CPUs, and eats up their memory bandwidth.
And this issue still continues to exist for gamers with high end PCs. Clearly, Naughty Dog and Iron Galaxy are a long way to go from fixing the base game on a fundamental level.
We had reported at the end of last month that one analysis of the game issues pointed to wrong utilization of low end and mid-range GPUs with 8 GB VRAM or less as the cause of the issues.
It now seems that assessment was far too optimistic, and there are other fundamental issues with the way the game was ported.
Again it’s all quite unfortunate given the higher expectations put upon Naughty Dog. They do have a prior port on PC, for Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection. To say that this was all unexpected is an understatement.
If you are someone who purchased the game and need the info, we will share the patch notes below:
- Fixed a crash that may occur while quickly swapping between character skin thumbnails
- Fixed a crash that may occur on version 22.214.171.124 during shader loads when booting the game for the first time
- Fixed one known crash that would happen randomly during gameplay
- Updated texture streaming to reduce CPU usage
- Fixed an issue where DualSense and Xbox One controllers’ analog sticks failed to respond
- Fixed an issue where extraneous SFX played in both main and in-game “Options” menus
- Fixed an issue where the Depth of Field setting’s (Options > Graphics > Post-Effects Settings > Depth of Field) sharpness may change based on the Render Scale’s settings (Options > Display > Resolution Scaling > Render Scale)
- Updated Graphics settings (Options > Graphics) user interface to accurately display VRAM usage
- Fixed an issue where Environments Texture Quality setting (Options > Graphics > Texture Settings > Environments Texture Quality) did not display the correct VRAM usage
- Fixed an issue where the pop-up to enable diagnostics after a crash did not appear
- Fixed an issue where certain artifacts and weapon skins textures may not properly render
- Fixed an issue with the tutorial’s user interface not displaying correctly
- Fixed an issue where mouse wheel scrolling in menus with dropdown options may accelerate faster than intended
- Increased active loading to reduce load times on gameplay progression
- Fixed an issue where camera orientation may warp to cursor position after exiting the Pause menu
- [Photo Mode] Fixed an issue where camera will not rotate in while in the Lighting tab
- [The Quarantine Zone] Fixed an issue where the player and buddy characters may suddenly appear wet during gameplay
- [The Quarantine Zone, Left Behind] Fixed an issue where lighting and texture may flicker during gameplay
- [The Outskirts] Fixed a gap in geometry visible during gameplay
- [The Suburbs] Fixed an issue where animations may fail to load during gameplay
- [The Suburbs] Restored the window-breaking and car-shaking FX in the sniper in-game cinematic
- [Tommy’s Dam] Fixed an issue where horse animations would fail to load during an in-game cinematic
- [Bus Depot] Fixed an issue where water FX may appear choppy during gameplay
- [The Firefly Lab] Fixed a LOD issue where enemy NPCs’ helmets may vanish or appear corrupted
Left Behind Standalone
- Fixed an issue where watergun shots would appear to hit Riley but not register while using Slow Motion with V-Sync off
- Fixed a crash that may occur while following Riley in the mall
- Improved level of detail in the Halloween store
- Fixed a crash that may occur when triggering the optional conversation at the Affordable Getaways poster
- Fixed an issue where textures of narrative elements appeared low-quality in a cutscene
- Updated ESDF control scheme in the arcade minigame to use ‘G’ as the alt key to better match gameplay punching input
- Fixed an issue where the Screen Magnifier may fail to work
- Fixed an issue where Navigation Assistance’s directional icon may clip through the player character model
- [ENGLISH, HUNGARIAN] Adjusted language used when referring to the DualSense controller’s adaptive triggers and touch pad
- [THAI, LATAM SPANISH, KOREAN] Corrected translations in menus
- [SWEDISH] Added missing text-to-speech in menus
- [SWEDISH] Corrected language on crash window
- Fixed an issue where incorrect defaults for graphics settings were applied to AMD RX 5700 and RX 6600 Series GPUs
- Fixed an issue where PSO Caching may freeze at 50% completion
- Fixed an issue where plugging in a DualSense controller while viewing cutscenes from the Cinematics menu may force a player into gameplay
- Adjusted the user interface to show Steam Deck controls in the Screen Magnifier menu
- Adjusted positioning of the Weapon and Health HUD elements
Epic Games Store Version
- Fixed an issue where the “Who’s a Good Boy?” achievement did not unlock despite the player meeting the requirements
- Fixed an issue where the sky may render black