Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 will be the next entry in the spin-off series from the Dead or Alive franchise and it is coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in Japan, according to Japanese video game magazine Famitsu (via NeoGAF).
The Vita version will be called Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Venus and the PS4 version will be called Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Fortune. Details were slim on how the two versions would differ, but an interview with producer Yosuke Hayashi provided a little more insight (via Hachima Kikou):
- If there is a strong enough demand for a western release, Koei Tecmo will consider it, but current plans only include a release in the Asia region.
- The Vita version of the game will use the touch panel and gyro sensor and also “Soft Engine Lite,” a toned-down version of “Soft Engine 2.0,” which will be used for the PS4 version.
- Prioritizing the use of one character over any of the others will provide rewards to players. No specifics were given on how this would work.
- There is a camera mode, ala those found in The Last of Us Remastered and The Order: 1886.
- Bonuses received from suntans in the game have been improved.
- Beginning Aug. 20, Koei Tecmo will release 15 custom themes for the PS4 and PS Vita, each one featuring a different character. The nine most downloaded themes will determine the nine characters that make it into the final games.
- Post-launch downloadable characters are not currently planned.
The previous two entries in this Dead or Alive spin-off series, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball and Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, were released on the original Xbox in 2003 and the Xbox 360 in 2006, respectively. The premise of the Xtreme series is that the girls of the fighting game franchise have gone to the beach to play volleyball, model, and get up to whatever other mini-games present themselves in a beach setting. Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 was not as focused on the beach volleyball aspect of the game, hence the removal of the activity from the title. While the first two entries were exclusive to Xbox platforms, Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 will be exclusive to PlayStation platforms.
Earlier this month, Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 was confirmed to be in development with no other details given at the time.