Konami used to be a significant player in the video game industry. However, as of late, the studio hasn’t offered too much content. That might be changing as we’ve seen rumors and supposed insider information comes out online suggesting a big return for the studio. However, it looks like the first big move for Konami’s Metal Gear Solid IP is getting the games back on digital marketplaces. If you happened to browse for the games recently through different platform digital storefronts, you might have found them missing.
Metal Gear Solid has taken its leave from the online marketplaces simply because licenses being expired. Unfortunately, Metal Gear Solid titles have been removed so that Konami can work on renewing the licenses. In particular, there is historical archive footage that needs licenses renewals to get the games back up and in good standing order. That should hopefully be a straightforward process.
Although, we don’t know just how long this process will take. For now, it’s a mystery just when Konami will be bringing back the games. With that said, we do know just what video game titles were removed, thanks to the official Konami blog post. While alerting fans of the temporary removal across digital storefronts globally, the company also listed the games taken down. Below you’ll find what games were removed and for what platforms.
Temporary Game Removals
- PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
- PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
- PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION
- PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
- PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
- PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
- PlayStation™Now METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
- Xbox 360 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION: 2 & 3
- Nintendo 3DS METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D
- GOG.com METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SUBSTANCE
- NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 2 HD for SHIELD TV
- NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 3 HD for SHIELD TV
As mentioned, these games are just being removed temporarily. It’s also noted that some of the games mentioned are not available in all countries or regions. For now, we know that this is something that Konami is actively working on. However, it’s also been rumored that Konami is working on several IPs and developers. For example, we may see a new Metal Gear Solid game come back out into the market at some point in the future. That includes other dormant IPs such as the Silent Hill franchise that fans have been waiting to see Konami pick back up.