• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
Gameranx

Gameranx

Video Game News, Lists & Guides

  • News
  • Features
  • Platforms
    • Xbox Series X
    • PS5
    • Nintendo
  • Videos
  • Upcoming Games
  • Guides

38 Studios Knew State Funding Wouldn’t be Enough for Cancelled MMO

May 20, 2014 by Stephen Daly

Court documents suggest studio knew Rhode Island loans wouldn’t be enough.

In the latest twist in the long running 38 Studios saga court documents have alleged that executives at the defunct studio knew loans from Rhode Island wouldn't be enough to cover development costs for MMO Project Copernicus.

Emails from studio vice chairman Thomas Zaccagnino have been submitted to the court revealling that 38 was aware that loans they accepted from the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation (EDC) would not be enough.

WRPI reports Zaccagnino sent the emails in response to then CEO Jen Maciean's umbridge at plans to tell Rhode Island officials that the loans would suffice for the development and completion of Project Copernicus.

Zaccagnino commented: 

“I really do not think we should highlight the fact that we might be under capitalized…won't go over well with the staff or board.”

The State of Rhode Island's ongoing legal battles against former executives at 38 Studios and EDC alleges that those involved "knew or should have known, but failed to inform the EDC Board, that 38 Studios was destined to fail according to 38 Studios’ own financial projections," as such, these emails could have an important impact on the case. 

Former EDC board member Donna Cupelo swore an affidavit before the court in 2012 stating she was led to believe the studio would have enough money to complete the deal if the loans were approved. 

Cupelo also said she was assured 38 Studios would have a positive cash flow of $12 million in 2012, the year it collapsed. 

The legal team representing former EDC executive director Keith Stokes, another defendant, told the court last year that the EDC board was actually "acutely aware that the capital needs of 38 Studios where [sic] in excess of $125MM as acknowledged in the 2010 EDC Inducement Resolution."

The case is expected to go to trial but a date has not yet been set. 

Share this post:

FacebookTwitterLinkedInPinterest

Recent Videos

15 Games With The Most REALISTIC NPCs

15 Games With The Most REALISTIC NPCs

Top 10 NEW Games of June 2026

Top 10 NEW Games of June 2026

LEGO Batman: Legacy of The Dark Knight - Before You Buy

LEGO Batman: Legacy of The Dark Knight - Before You Buy

Assassin's Creed Black Flag DESPERATELY Wants You Back

Assassin's Creed Black Flag DESPERATELY Wants You Back

7/10 Games We PLAY MORE THAN 10s

7/10 Games We PLAY MORE THAN 10s

Subnautica 2: 10 Things The Game DOESN'T TELL YOU

Subnautica 2: 10 Things The Game DOESN'T TELL YOU

GTA6 TRAILER SOON? LEAKS & MORE

GTA6 TRAILER SOON? LEAKS & MORE

Forza Horizon 6 - Before You Buy

Forza Horizon 6 - Before You Buy

Subnautica 2 - Before You Buy

Subnautica 2 - Before You Buy

Category: Updates

Sidebar

Recent Posts

  • Tom Henderson: Ubisoft’s AI Project Was Used For Far Cry 7 Dev’t “And It Looks Like Shit”
  • Dataminers Find Nintendo Switch Account Manager In Genshin Impact
  • Rumor: Millie A Says “Maybe Don’t Miss” This Next State Of Play
  • Quantic Dream Claims Star Wars Eclipse Is Unaffected After Cancelling Spellcaster Chronicles
  • Rumor: Does This Mean Nintendo Will Keep Making Switch 1 Consoles In The Near Future?

Copyright © 2026 · Gameranx · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Mai Theme