• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
Gameranx

Gameranx

Video Game News, Lists & Guides

  • News
  • Features
  • Platforms
    • Xbox Series X
    • PS5
    • Nintendo
  • Videos
  • Upcoming Games
  • Guides

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’s Story Took Over Two Years to Write

May 16, 2014 by Stephen Daly

Sledgehammer co-founder says players ‘should’ be excited for single player.

Every Call of Duty comes with a single player campaign but for the most part, players are more interested in the online side of things with Advanced Warfare however, this could be about to change. 

Responding to a fan who said this was "first year I'm looking forward to the single player game too," Sledgehammer Games co-founder Glen Schofield commented: 

@xMaccabix It should be. The story alone has taken over 2 1/2 years to write.

— Glen Schofield (@GlenSchofield) May 14, 2014

The studio is making some key changes to the game replacing the map voiceovers of past titles with fully rendered cut scenes and a voiced protagonist, played by Troy Baker of The Last of Us and BioShock Infinite fame. Veteran Hollywood star Kevin Spacey will also appear as the game's villain. 

Fellow Sledgehammer co-founder Michael Condrey recently commented that the developer wants to create a scene akin to Game of Thrones' infamous Red Wedding in terms of the impact. 

Schofield has also said: 

"It's not just about the big moments; it's about the emotional moments. And they can still be big and bold, but it's to me, right now…at this point in our career and I think in video games, with the new consoles and the amount of fidelity you get with the characters, it's about emotional connections. Narrative is extremely important to us. Not that it isn't to others, but we pay an awful lot of attention to that."

"I just feel that video games is the next medium to be talking about a story. We need to be telling a story. It's not just a military story; this is about family, and camaraderie, and pain, and loss."

It certainly seems that the studio, which was working on a cancelled third person Call of Duty game before being tasked with helping Infinity Ward complete Modern Warfare 3, is taking story very, very seriously indeed. 

Share this post:

FacebookTwitterLinkedInPinterest

Recent Videos

Top 10 NEW Games of June 2026

Top 10 NEW Games of June 2026

LEGO Batman: Legacy of The Dark Knight - Before You Buy

LEGO Batman: Legacy of The Dark Knight - Before You Buy

Assassin's Creed Black Flag DESPERATELY Wants You Back

Assassin's Creed Black Flag DESPERATELY Wants You Back

7/10 Games We PLAY MORE THAN 10s

7/10 Games We PLAY MORE THAN 10s

Subnautica 2: 10 Things The Game DOESN'T TELL YOU

Subnautica 2: 10 Things The Game DOESN'T TELL YOU

GTA6 TRAILER SOON? LEAKS & MORE

GTA6 TRAILER SOON? LEAKS & MORE

Forza Horizon 6 - Before You Buy

Forza Horizon 6 - Before You Buy

Subnautica 2 - Before You Buy

Subnautica 2 - Before You Buy

20 Legendary Games That PUSHED GRAPHICS TO THE LIMIT

20 Legendary Games That PUSHED GRAPHICS TO THE LIMIT

Category: Updates

Sidebar

Recent Posts

  • State Of Play Confirmed For June 2, Featuring Marvel’s Wolverine
  • Rumor: Did A Free Game Break Through Steam’s Security Measures And Spread Malware?
  • Mystery Solved: Yoshi and the Mysterious Book’s Developer Confirmed To Be Good-Feel
  • Warhorse Studios Confirms They’re Making A Lord of The Rings Game – and A New Kingdom Come Deliverance
  • Embracer Group Decides To Spin Off Fellowship Entertainment, Cancelling Last Year’s Rebranding Plans

Copyright © 2026 · Gameranx · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Mai Theme