The Nintendo company has just released a new update for their latest console platform, the Nintendo Switch. This update takes players to version 9.0.0 and with it comes several little improvements to make the system not only functional but also a little more convenient. One of which has been making its rounds online and that’s a small LED ring that most owners probably never knew about. If you take a look at the home button, you may notice it, but there’s a small LED ring around the button which will likely be used for new notifications.
There’s a slew of new little features and options added into the video game console with this update. Players will find that there is a new setting where you can display a QR Code that will could be used to check-in through your Nintendo account. Likewise, Nintendo has added a search feature to the News Channel where searching for content should be easier. As mentioned, this also comes with the LED ring being lit up around the home button and while it’s always been there, Nintendo seemingly never did anything with it until now. It’s speculated that this light will soon be used to alert gamers of notifications.
One of the more requested items for Nintendo is also finally coming to the Nintendo Switch. Now gamers can easily invite friends to join in on an online game rather than going through a series of menus to join a friend’s game. For those of you who are purchasing the wireless SNES controller that was released as a means to enjoy the free SNES monthly video game titles, this update will support the controller.
- Added a search feature for the News Channel.
- Channels can be searched using filters or free text.
- Added “Display QR Code to Check In” to User Settings.
- You can display a QR Code on-screen to check in using your Nintendo Account.
- Alarm Notifications have been added to System Settings > Notifications.
- You can check or delete pre-set alarms.
- Alarms can be set up only within supported software (to be added at a later time).
- A controller firmware update may be required to use this feature.
- You can now configure touch screen sensitivity settings.
- Select between Standard and Stylus sensitivity (optimized for stylus input).
- Added the option to turn on/off the system button input (Nintendo Switch Lite only).
- When this setting is turned off the system no longer receives input from the console buttons, with the exception of the Capture and HOME Buttons, and can only be operated from a wirelessly paired controller (sold separately).
- This setting is on by default and can only be turned off if a compatible controller (sold separately) is wirelessly paired to the console.
- The setting will automatically turn back on when the console is restarted or after returning from sleep mode.
- Added “Online Play Invites” section to the User’s page.
- Invites from friends to join online play in supported software will be displayed in this section.
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.
- Resolved an issue where some users can’t start the Fire Emblem: Three Houses game, and get an error instead.