Borderlands 3 became one of the most anticipated releases of 2019 since its announcement. However, the studio announcement of its limited-time exclusivity with Epic Games Store received mixed reactions from fans of the franchise.
Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford explained thoroughly the studio’s decision on the pros and cons they looked at to make the right decision. He went on a relatively lengthy Twitter thread, however, WCCFTech managed to summarize the most important points from all the tweets. Pitchford believes having two relatively equal powerful PC digital markets will loosen Steam’s tight grip on market. Here are all the important points:
- Pitchford agrees that the Epic Games Store currently has fewer features than Valve’s Steam. However, he believes Epic will rush to add as many features as possible before the launch of Borderlands 3, which will be the biggest new game on the platform when it’s released.
- He admits there’s a chance Epic won’t be fast enough to do so. However, apparently, Borderlands 3 publisher 2K was happy with taking this risk. Ultimately, Pitchford said, in a long-term view the existence of the Epic Games Store will be inevitably beneficial to customers and developers.
- That’s because Epic has a proven track record (with the Unreal Engine) that they are willing to reinvest significant amounts of money to improve technology over time. On the other hand, Valve often reinvested in other business ventures than Steam.
- The Epic Games Store is the first significant threat to Steam and Valve will need to adapt quickly. He believes they’ll do so as there’s a lot of talent at Valve, but ultimately, having worked for a very long time with both companies, he still thinks Epic is likely to come out on top given the respective track records.
- While there are ‘bumps on the road’ now, the Gearbox boss likened Borderlands 3 on the Epic Games Store to Half-Life 2 on Steam, pointing out that this will ultimately lead to breaking the monopoly on the PC digital market.
Borderlands 3 releases on September 13, 2019, for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.