We’ve got some good news for fans of the Shenmue Series, according to series creator Yu Suzuki, the upcoming title will be 70% like the original game. Speaking to Metro GameCentral Suzuki said that that fans can expect the new title to not be that far of a departure from the original.
“I don’t think it’s necessary to change the basics of the gameplay,” he said. “If I change it too much the existing fans will be very upset. Although I am always making up new ideas and things to add to the game, which can be a problem for my team who are trying to implement these ideas.
Suzuki said that the team aims for the game to be 30% new and 70% to remain the same – however, the team isn’t entirely closed to changing that ratio.
“At the moment we are trying to keep it to 30% new and the keep the other 70% of the game similar to the original. But the design is constantly changing and I am always coming up with new concepts that we can try to add to the game if there is the opportunity.”
Why reinvent the wheel right? Shenmue 3 is due out on the PS4 and PC, currently scheduled for the end of next year release.