Larian Studios finally announced an official release date for their highly-anticipated title, Divinity Original Sin 2. The game is a sequel to Divinity Original Sin, and managed to gather over $2 million during its Kickstarter campaign, even though the original goal was just $500 thousand.
Divinity Original Sin 2 is set around a thousand years after its predecessor, and promises to feature a much more expansive story, “giving players tabletop RPG-like freedom to complete quests and explore a world like no other.” For those who aren’t familiar with the franchise, here is a description of the game’s storyline, features and key aspects:
In a world where the Gods are dead, you play a wielder of forbidden magic, quarantined in the prison colony of Fort Joy. The Magisters of the Divine Order want to “cure” you of your powers. But the Order has secrets of its own. Secrets that threaten everyone. If the world remains godless, chaos will rule. It’s time for a new Divinity.
Choose your race and origin story and see how differently the world reacts. Gather your party and blast your opponents with different elements in deep tactical turn-based combat. Explore the vast and layered world of Rivellon alone or with up to 4 players in drop-in/drop-out cooperative play.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is an entirely new experience built on the next-gen Divinity Engine, with a new UI, an all-new art-style, and advanced roleplay systems. Everything that made the original great returns: Go anywhere you want, kill anyone, find endless ways to solve problems and gather your ultimate RPG party.
- Choose your origin story. Choose one of the unique origin stories that will define your character’s background and your personal quests. For the first time in a Divinity game, play as a Human, Lizard, Elf, Dwarf, or Undead, each with unique racial skills. Watch the world and its inhabitants react to who you are and what you’ve done, unlocking new dialog options and quest lines. Or create your own story by building your character from the ground up.
- More freedom than ever. Go anywhere, talk to anyone, interact with everything and be anyone you want. You can kill any NPC in the game, destroy objects, and use the game’s vast RPG systems to your advantage. Talk to animals and spirits to gain valuable information. Explore the huge , open world to find hours of hidden content, including entire new areas.
- New elemental interactions make turn-based combat even better. Combine elements like fire and poison for explosive combos. Bless and Curse surfaces to completely change their properties. Craft new skills and use elevation to your advantage.
- A darker and deeper story. Divinity: Original Sin 2 features a darker and more grounded narrative than its award-winning predecessor, while building on Larian’s distinctive tone of voice. This is a godforsaken world. The Void approaches. And desperate times call for desperate measures…
- Play with up to 4 players: No other RPG offers 4-player co-op like Divinity:Original Sin 2 does. Your Origin Stories will give you different, often conflicting objectives. Will you cooperate or compete? It’s entirely up to you.
- Test your skills in the new PvP Arena Mode. Challenge your friends in fast, satisfying turn-based combat sessions. Take the battle to the multiplayer-tailored Arenas, packed with explosives, loot, and deadly traps.
- New technology. Powered by Divinity Engine 3.0, the game features physics-based rendering, cloth physics, and a new dynamic music system. It makes Divinity: Original Sin 2 the most atmospheric Divinity game ever.
- Roleplay with friends: New Game Master Mode bridges the gap between the improvisation of a tabletop role-playing session and the immersion of a computer RPG. Easy to use, powerful and flexible.
Divinity Original Sin 2 releases on September 14 for PC, Mac and Linux systems, with console versions expected to release shortly after this date.