The Fortnite app has been missing from the Apple App Store since 2020 when Epic Games “took a stand” against the tech giant for taking unreasonable cuts of in-app revenue made from in-game purchases. While the major lawsuit was finally put to bed, Fortnite still isn’t able to be listed on the App Store, causing many mobile gamers to be out of luck when it comes to playing their favorite battle royale.
Luckily for fans, Microsoft has introduced a new way to play Fortnite on mobile devices that completely circumvents the issues with the lack of Apple-supported apps. What’s more, because the game is free-to-play, fans don’t need to spend any money on an Xbox Live or Xbox Game Pass subscription if they aren’t already paying for it.
How to Play Fortnite on iPhones and iPads
To play Fortnite on mobile devices, users are going to be accessing Xbox Cloud Gaming (aka xCloud before it was rebranded.) Follow the steps below to access the game and begin winning Victory Royales.
- Open the Safari app (although many prefer other browsers, using Safari is necessary for this guide) and go to Xbox.com/play.
- Select the share button (represented by an arrow pointing up and out of a square) next to the search bar. Then, scroll to the bottom of the pop up tab and select “Add to Home Screen.”
- Select “Add.” This will have created an app on your Home Screen that brings you directly to the Xbox Cloud Gaming page.
- Exit to your Home Screen and then select the newly created “Cloud Gaming” app.
- Login to your Microsoft account by selecting “Sign In.”
- Once signed in, you can search for Fortnite in the search bar, or find in by scrolling through the list of available games.
- Select “Play” and you’ll be able to access the game without needing an official Fortnite app.
Fortnite can be played using touch controls or by pairing a controller. To learn how to pair Xbox controllers to iOS devices, check out our guide on it right here.