Let’s get this out of the way first — Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is an incredible Kickstarter success, and one of the very best Metroidvania games available right now. It’s also got a bad case of Kickstarter-itis, a common virus that infects crowd-funded games. Because these games are created by a committee of loyal and generous backers, they’ll usually provide some pretty big rewards. One of the rewards in Bloodstained are portraits that are found everywhere in the sprawling castle, showing the mugs of several extremely kind people.
I’m not here to criticize anyone for wanting to put their face in an awesome game. I’m only here to say that those Kickstarter backer paintings are incredibly distracting, and they immediately take me out of the game whenever I see them. I don’t see nobility, I see modern day gamers — you’ll see a lot of these paintings, as they’re found all over the castle, and if you’re sick of looking at them, you can replace the pics with a simple mod.
Naturally, this ‘fix’ only works on PC. You’ll have to download and install this quick mod, created by Raz3d. Below, I’ll explain how to do it.
More Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night guides:
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night – How To Get The Best Ending | True Final Boss Guide
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night – How To Collect Every Movement Power | Progression Guide
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night – How To Find The Secret 8-Bit Nightmare Level | Easter Egg Guide
How To Remove Backer Portraits | Mod Guide
This simple mod replaces Kickstarter Backer photos with artwork by Ayami Kojima. All the replacement artwork is Castlevania-themed, with pictures taken from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Harmony of Despair, and Bloodstained.
- Download the Backer Portrait Replacement Mod here.
The mod will -not- replace a handful of pictures. It does not replace the Iga portrait, or the Butcher and Celeste portraits. Anything that actually looks like art is not replaced.
After downloading the mod, move the ~mods folder into the \Paks\ folder wherever you’ve installed Bloodstained.
- On Steam:
- Steam\SteamApps\common\Bloodstained Ritual of the Night\Bloodstained RoTN\Content\Paks
- On GOG:
- GOG Games\Bloodstained Ritual of the Night\Bloodstained RoTN\Content\Paks
If you’re prompted, choose to replace any files or folders with the same file names.