• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
Gameranx

Gameranx

Video Game News, Lists & Guides

  • News
  • Features
  • Platforms
    • Xbox Series X
    • PS5
    • Nintendo
  • Videos
  • Upcoming Games
  • Guides

Take-Two Sued For $150 Million By Former Rockstar North Boss

April 12, 2016 by Stephen Daly

Leslie Benzies argues that he was terminated without being informed of the fact while on a sabbatical.

Leslie Benzies
Take-Two Interactive is being sued for $150 million by former Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies.

Benzies’ legal team argues that Rockstar terminated his contract while he was on a sabbatical without informing him of that fact and owes him $150 million in unpaid royalties.

The former studio head left Rockstar in January but the developer said his sabbatical began on January 1st 2014.

“While on sabbatical, Mr. Benzies discovered numerous deceptions on the part of Take-Two, Rockstar, Rockstar North Ltd, Sam Houser and Dan Houser, who sought to force him out of the company and terminate his portion of royalty payments based upon arbitrary actions by the company’s royalty Allocation Committee, a committee that may or may not have actually ever met,” Christopher Bakes, a partner at Locke Lord LLP – which is representing Benzies – said in a statement relating to the case.

The lawsuit argues that Benzies was in possession of an identical contract to those held by Sam and Dan Houser, Rockstar’s co-founders. However, the suit alleges that the Housers betrayed him with a “lengthy deception”.

“Mr. Benzies’ removal after years of receiving compensation identical to the Housers was the product of what turned out to be a lengthy deception by Sam Houser,” Bakes added. “The complaint describes Sam Houser’s mounting resentments after many years of high praise.”

Emails obtained by Eurogamer reveal, several emails sent by Sam Houser included encouraging phrases such as “I’ve got your back”, “so proud to be partners with you”, “Partners for real!!”, and “Together Forever!” The suit alleges that Houser gave Benzies a false sense of security before stripping everything away while he was on sabbatical.

Benzies also claims Rockstar lied about his sabbatical when the company commented that Benzies had “decided not to return to work for the company,” in January. Benzies argues that’s completely untrue and that he attempted to return to work on April 1st 2015 but his key to the building had been deactivated.

“After being let inside by building security, Mr. Benzies was then ordered to leave by the Rockstar North office manager without reason,” Bakes commented of the incident.

Benzies further argues that the sabbatical was not his idea in the first place, with the Housers encouraging him to take leave. “The Defendants flew Mr. Benzies to New York and encouraged him to take a six-month sabbatical to recharge his batteries,” the lawsuit comments.

The $150 million figure derives from $93 million profit-sharing payments made by the Housers to themselves with another $523 million in profits unaccounted for.

“During that period, Mr. Benzies did not receive a single dollar in profit-sharing payments, a significant and dramatic departure from the former practice of profit-sharing equality among the three ‘Rockstar Principals'” the suit adds.

For its part, Rockstar has launched a countersuit. The company says only an ‘Allocation Committee’ could award the kind of royalties Benzies is looking for and “Sam Houser would have the sole authority to determine what, if any, royalty percentage should be allocated to Benzies.”

Benzies joined Rockstar in 1999.

Share this post:

FacebookTwitterLinkedInPinterest

Recent Videos

UBISOFT LOSES 1.3 BILLION, GTA 6 CEO RESPONDS & MORE

UBISOFT LOSES 1.3 BILLION, GTA 6 CEO RESPONDS & MORE

15 Games With The Most REALISTIC NPCs

15 Games With The Most REALISTIC NPCs

Top 10 NEW Games of June 2026

Top 10 NEW Games of June 2026

LEGO Batman: Legacy of The Dark Knight - Before You Buy

LEGO Batman: Legacy of The Dark Knight - Before You Buy

Assassin's Creed Black Flag DESPERATELY Wants You Back

Assassin's Creed Black Flag DESPERATELY Wants You Back

7/10 Games We PLAY MORE THAN 10s

7/10 Games We PLAY MORE THAN 10s

Subnautica 2: 10 Things The Game DOESN'T TELL YOU

Subnautica 2: 10 Things The Game DOESN'T TELL YOU

GTA6 TRAILER SOON? LEAKS & MORE

GTA6 TRAILER SOON? LEAKS & MORE

Forza Horizon 6 - Before You Buy

Forza Horizon 6 - Before You Buy

Category: UpdatesTag: Grand Theft Auto, Leslie Benzies, Rockstar, take-two interactive

Sidebar

Recent Posts

  • Rumor: Is Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet Releasing By 2027?
  • Rumor: Is Fairgame$ Getting Rebranded With A New Franchise Name?
  • Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick Doesn’t Know Where The GTA 6 Best Buy Rumor Came From
  • Rumor: Bungie Will Have Layoffs After Destiny 2, Destiny 3 Is Not In Development
  • Rumor: GTA 6’s 3rd Trailer Releasing May 26 And Appearing In The Next State Of Play

Copyright © 2026 · Gameranx · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Mai Theme