Black Ops 3’s Mod Tools Are Finally Here
You can now mod Black Ops 3 to your heart’s content.
Remember how Treyarch promised to release modding tools for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 at the time the game was first released? Pepperidge Farm remembers. And so did Treyarch, actually.
Today, the studio released mod tools for the game to PC gamers. The modding tools will allow gamers to create their own maps and alter a wide variety of aspects about the game.
The tools went through a long period of closed testing before being released, and even now, they’re only still in “beta.” You’ll need a full copy of the PC version in order to use them, of course—with Treyarch providing the details in a Steam post.
To download them, simply head on to Library > Tools in Steam and grab it from there. If your version of the game is fully updated, you’ll have access to the following tools:
- Black Ops 3 Steam Workshop
- Unranked Server Browser
- Radiant Level Editor
- APE, Asset Property Editor
- Mod Tools Launcher
- Optional additional assets installation under Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 — Mod Tools’ DLC section. Includes more level building assets from a variety of official Black Ops 3 maps
- Full example maps of the Mulitplayer map Combine and the Zombies map The Giant
- New Server Settings Menu in Multiplayer Custom Games and Zombies Private Game where you can set how your server will display in the Unranked Server Browser
- New Mods Menu where you can load and unload your subscribed mods
You will not need to download the tools to have access to content from the Steam Workshop or the unranked server browser, so as soon as people put up their own servers for the game, you can join in without any hassle.