Nintendo Switch Adds Friendly Firmware Update
A modest sized update: Tweaks parental controls, makes adding friends easier, and gifts players with new user icons.
Firmware update 5.0.0 for Nintendo Switch is out now and introduces a number of changes. Detailed in full on the Nintendo Support website, this update makes it easier to add Facebook and Twitter friends who are also Switch users, and introduces 24 new Arms and Kirby user icons to adopt as your favourite new avatar. The default mode for entering a PIN on Parental controls hads also been modified.
- Friend suggestions – Lets you add Facebook and Twitter friends who also own Nintendo Switch. Friend recommendations based on social media you’ve linked to your Nintendo Account. User must be 13 and up to use this feature
- 24 New Arms & Kirby series icons – 24 additional user icons from Arms and Kirby titles. Can be implemented via Profile in Home Menu
- PC & smart device purchases download faster – The speed at which digital purchases download gets a boost (also applies to Sleep Mode)
- News filtering – Lets you view news from selected channels and highlight unread items
- Parental controls PIN – Keep PIN private by using Control Stick and buttons instead of number pad on-screen. Parents will also be able to whitelist specific titles from the Restricted Software settings, but Play-Time Limit still applies
- Video capture – Videos stored in the album can now be restricted by Parental Controls
- Notifications – An alert will let users know when pre-purchased items are available to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip – Pro Controller’s grip colours will be displayed in Controllers menu from now on
Nintendo Switch has officially been out for a year. Within those 365 days, it’s managed to entice players into buying 10 million units in just nine months, become the fastest selling console in France, and even surpass Wii (Nintendo’s best selling console) in Germany. Suffice it to say the Switch is performing very well.