ARK: Survival Evolved’s Aquatic Steam Update v256 Is Available Now
A new UI overhaul, TEK Tier content, and new creatures.
Studio Wildcard has released a new update on Steam for ARK: Survival Evolved. This substantial patch comes with new content including vacuum-sealed underwater bases and aquatic creature breeding, TEK teleporter pads and wireless generators along with four powerful creatures.
Today also marks the first major redesign of the game’s former “clunky” interface. The first major menu redesign of ARK has arrived, as the Inventory UI receives a complete visual and functional overhaul for a streamlined new look. This is a huge upgrade that means easier access to everything in the player’s inventory.
“The new ARK Inventory UI is a total redesign of the game’s former clunky interface! This visual and functional overhaul brings right-click context menus and better organization for remote inventories,” said Jeremy Stieglitz, Lead Designer, Lead Programmer, and Co-Founder of Studio Wildcard. “It’s a significant step on the road of preparing ARK for its home stretch of Early Access!”
In addition, ARK: Survival Evolved is on sale for Steam players at 67% off (retail $29.99) and its first Expansion Pack ARK: Scorched Earth is on sale for 51% off (retail $19.99) from Friday, March 31 to Monday, April 3.
The TEK Tier for ARK is being implemented in multiple phases. This content is a wave of sci-fi themed, end-game features that reward hard-working Survivors with futuristic gear and guns.
Players who crave the TEK Tier loot will need to gather the newly introduced Element resource, which is granted after successfully completing Boss Arenas. Each Boss now has three difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard) and after defeating the respective Boss are awarded with unique TEK Knowledge engrams, element and other general Boss Rewards. Collect the Element, then use the TEK Replicator to craft all TEK items.
Today’s TEK Tier update includes:
- New Structure: TEK Power Generator: The wireless generators power TEK structures and any Tribe electrical structures in adjustable range.
- New Structures & Mechanic: TEK Underwater Bases: Allows fully-enclosed structures to be created underwater, with ventilators to allow oxygen filled room. Air-locks and moonpools allow players to enter and exit without flooding their base.
- New Structure: TEK Teleporter: Helps players move around the expansive open-world island. But very expensive to obtain!
- New Item: TEK Mosa Saddle: Once properly placed on the Mosasaur it equips the beast with lasers and more.
Four new creatures have arrived in ARK. First up is the Equus Magnus, which is likely an ancestor to the modern horse, and when tamed it can be used in much the same way, riding, herding, and like pack animals. Next is the Leedsichthys Conviviumbrosia, which is probably the largest fish in the waters around the island. It is often traded with the same value as Prime Meat, and colloquially called ‘Prime Fish.”
Ichthyornis Piscoquus, is considered a plain old normal seagull, living near beaches and surviving off of native fish. However, when tamed they become partners for their tamer, riding on their shoulders and gifting them fish throughout the day. Iguanodon Vicissitudinis is a larger herbivorous dinosaur that can walk on all fours and its hind legs equally well. It has two spike-like thumbs for prying fruit open and for stabbing would-be predators.
Full List of v256 New Content
- Mechanic: Aquatic & Amphibious Creature Breeding
- Dinos: Equus, Leedsichthys, Ichthyornis, Iguanodon!
- Structures & Mechanic: Tek Underwater Bases
- TEK Items: TEK Teleporter, TEK Mosa Saddle, TEK Power Generator
- Total Inventory Menu redesign (other UI’s coming soon!)
- 1 New Hairstyle and 1 New Facial Hairstyle (male and female variants). Growable ponytails with full physics and mutton chops!
- 30+ Explorer Notes
- New Weapon: The Lasso