Final Fantasy 15: How to Unlock Chocobo Riding | Mount Guide
On PC, PS4 & Xbox One: Unlock the “Chocobo Jockey” achievement / trophy and start riding these feathered friends by completing an optional quest.
It isn’t a Final Fantasy without a Chocobo to ride, and your feathered friends work just a little differently than they did in previous entries. Final Fantasy 15 embraces a more open-world philosophy for Chocobos — instead of owning one, you can rent it for 50 gil a day, but you won’t be able to start renting these mounted critters at first. Learn how to unlock Chocobo riding with the quick guide below.
The reoccurring ride-able species first appeared in Final Fantasy 2 — which never saw a western release. Returning in almost every core RPG entry, and often showing up in spin-offs like Final Fantasy Tactics, the Chocobo is one of several mascots for the series. It’s pretty much ubiquitous at this point, along with that infectious theme that plays whenever you ride one. Both the mounted Chocobos and their theme return in Final Fantasy 15, and it is a welcome return.
More Final Fantasy 15 secrets, tips, and guides:
- Final Fantasy 15: All 13 Royal Arms Locations | Faithful Heir Guide
- Final Fantasy 15: Run Infinitely With This Instant Stamina Refill Trick
- Final Fantasy 15: How to Fight Lvl. 99 Adamantoise | Optional Boss Guide
- Final Fantasy 15: How to Get the Regalia Type-F | Airship Guide
- Final Fantasy 15: Max Out Every Skill | Cooking, Fishing, Photos, Survival
- Final Fantasy 15: Sylvester Map Locations | Scraps of Mystery Guide
- Final Fantasy 15: Complete Achievements / Trophies Guide
- Final Fantasy 15: All Classic FF OST Locations | “Memories Of” Guide
How to Unlock Chocobo Riding | Mount Guide
Chocobo aren’t available to ride from the start. You’ll need to complete a quest at the Wiz Chocobo Outpost, available after Chapter 3.
- Go to Wiz’ Chocobo Post (Duscae) and complete the “Friends of a Feather” side quest for Wiz.
- Talk to Wiz and accept “A Behemoth Undertaking” to kill Deadeye.
- Return to Wiz Chocobo Post after killing Deadeye.
After turning in the quest, special yellow “Rent-A-Bird” terminals will become available to use. To rent a Chocobo, interact with the machine to purchase a ticket and the amount of days you want to rent the Chocobo. The Chocobo will only be available for the select amount of time and will return to Wiz once the time limit is up.
- Chocobos can be rented for 50 gil per day.
Once you purchase a Chocobo rental ticket, you can call a Chocobo to you at any time in the field.
Press [R2/RT] + [Left/Right on the D-Pad] to call a Chocobo.
That’s how you can start riding Chocobos. They’re living, breathing creatures that can take care of themselves, so you won’t need them at your side during the whole rental period. They’ll leave and appear when they’re called into action.
Achievement / Trophy Unlocked:
- Chocobo Jockey:
- Rode a Chocobo.