Pokemon Sun & Moon: Gain Levels Easy With Rare Candy Locations
Only on 3DS; Grab every delicious Rare Candy with our quick guide, showing you where to get these valuable (and free!) instant level-ups.
Don’t miss out on a single Rare Candy location in the Alola Region using the locations tips below. Rare Candy is a very special item in Pokemon Sun and Moon — using it causes your chosen Pokemon to gain a level instantly. That’s a free level, and there are 12+ Rare Candy to find in Alola. Finding these candies can make earning that last level (or 10) to evolve so much more painless.
Rare Candy is, naturally, a pretty rare item. They can’t be bought from stores (with one exception) and come in a pretty limited amount. You’ll have to decide which Pokemon are the most worthy of a free level. We suggest saving these Rare Candies for the late-game, when leveling up certain Pokemon to reach their third evolution can be a real slog, especially if its a Pokemon you don’t plan on using until they’ve reached their full potential.
Rare Candy Locations Guide
Rare Candy, when used on a Pokemon, causes that picked Pokemon to gain a level. No XP gains or battles required.
Any Pokemon Center
At the Pokemon Cafe in every Pokemon Center, you can gain Rare Candy by talking to the Cafe vendor after feeding your Pokemon beans in Pokemon Refresh. Talk to the Cafe vendor when you reach these milestones:
- 8 Pokebeans Fed
- 16 Pokebeans Fed
- 20 Pokebeans Fed
- 50 Pokebeans Fed
- 100 Pokebeans Fed
Return and talk to the Cafe vendor after each amount to get a free Rare Candy. That’s a total of 5 Rare Candies for 100 Pokebeans.
- Hau’oli City, Beachfront – Start at the southeastern edge of the beachfront. Ride Lapras to an island across the Melemele Sea to a beach south. Switch to Stoutland to sniff out a Rare Candy on this beach.
- Hau’oli City, Tourist Center – Go to the Tourism Building in Hau’oli and try the odds at the LOTO-ID. Enter the drawing — there’s a chance you’ll earn a free Rare Candy. You can play once a day.
- Route 6 – Go south from Paniola Ranch and onto Route 6. Travel down, past the road to Royal Avenue, and look for a large boulder on your left. Smash it with Tauros’ charge to find the Rare Candy.
- Brooklet Hill – Cross the bridge at the start and head south on the beach with the fishing trainer. Cross the water with Lapras and swim right to reach a secluded island with another fishing trainer.
- Lush Jungle – Use Machamp’s Shove HM on the large square-shaped rock found down the right path in Lush Jungle. Enter the cave and push the second rock into another hole. There’s an item here, but you’ll need Stoutland to sniff out the hidden Rare Candy.
- Royal Avenue – Go to the restaurant across from the Pokemon Center and search for an invisible item near the construction supplies in the corner, to the right of the restuarant doors. Don’t use Stoutland here — just press [A] around the lower stack covered in a white tarp to find it.
- Royal Avenue, Battle Royal Dome – Rare Candy can be purchased from the left-hand vendor for 48 BPs. That’s a pretty steep price, so only pay if you’re willing to part with that valuable BP.
- Po Town – On the right side of town, enter the courtyard with the brown hole dug under the hedge. Interact to crawl through and encounter two Team Skull Grunts. In this new courtyard, look in the upper-right corner.
- Route 16, Aether House – This is the only one Rare Candy that can’t be missed. It is acquired as you progress through the story.
- Poni Wilds – On the western shore, move up to find a Berry Tree (the kind that refills daily) near the ledge. To the right, there’s a Rare Candy semi-hidden between two rocks.
- Vast Poni Canyon – Before entering the Altar of Sunne / Moone, there’s a secret path to the left you can interact with. Crawl inside and reach the cavern. Use Sharpedo to swim and bust though the rocks — the Rare Candy is found on a shore in the upper-left corner of the chamber.
Find even more Pokemon Sun & Moon guides, how-to’s and tutorials on Gameranx:
- 20 Useful Tips & Tricks Pokemon Sun / Moon Doesn’t Tell You
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 100% Zygarde Guide | Cores & Cells Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: The Best Shiny Pokemon Farming Method
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Efficiently Level Up Poke Pelago
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Find These NPCs For Free Pokemon | Gifts Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All the Daily Events You Won’t Want to Miss
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Easy Way to Raise Happiness | Friendship Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How To Stop Evolutions | No Everstone Required
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Everything You Need to Know About Pikachu
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Get Your Munchlax Mystery Gift & Snorlium-Z Now
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Get Sungaleo / Lunala | Legendaries Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Where to Find New Moves | All TM Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Generation 7 Evolution Requirements Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Learn New Pokeball Throw Styles
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Catch Ditto | Rare Pokemon Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Boost Base Stats Fast | EV Farming Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All Pokemon QR Codes | Complete Gallery
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Evolve | Evolution Stones Locations Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 6 New Features That Change Everything
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Transfer Pokedex | Compatibility Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Z-Crystal Locations | Z-Moves Unlock Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All the Version Exclusive Pokemon | Full List
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Demo Secrets Guide & Special Events Calendar
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Preload Available Now | How to Get 12 Free Quick Balls