Gears of War 4: 100% Achievements Guide | Completion Tips & Tricks
On Xbox One & PC: See what it takes to earn every achievement in Gears of War 4 with our expansive list of tips, tricks, and unlock solutions.
Take control of Gears of War 4 with our 100% completion guide, showing you how to find all the collectibles, finish all the challenges, and all the steps required to unlock the “Seriously 4.0” achievement. Spoiler warning: it won’t be easy. A typical Gears of War 100% achievement score takes somewhere in the range of 100+ hours, so if you’re in it for the long haul or just want to complete a few fun achievements while replaying the campaign with friends, we’ve got you covered.
If you know the achievement you’re looking for and want to just straight to it, press [CTRL+F] to open the search menu. Input the achievement you’re looking for and press [ENTER]. You’ll jump straight down.
Even more Gears of War 4 secrets, extras, and unlockables:
- Gears of War 4: All the Easter Eggs We’ve Found (So Far)
- Gears of War 4: How to Get the “Despicable You” Freeze Gun
- Gears of War 4: How to Get the “Dom’s Toms” Tomato Grenades
100% Achievements Guide
[This is just the start of the complete achievements guide. Check back soon for new updates.]
Gears of War achievements are notoriously difficult to 100%, all thanks to “Seriously 4.0”. The multiplayer / horde achievements are going to take a long time, especially re-upping 10 times total.
Campaign Achievements – Collectibles
There are a total of 40 campaign collectibles and 10 COG tags in Gears of War 4. To find them all, check out the complete guide right here.
- Collector (5 points)
Recovered 5 Campaign collectibles
- Pack Rat (10 points)
Recovered 10 Campaign collectibles
- Completist (15 points)
Recovered all Campaign collectibles
- Remember the Fallen (15 points)
Recovered all COG Tags in Campaign
Campaign / Horde Mode Achievements – Challenges
Here you’ll find achievements related to challenges that can be completed in campaign or in horde mode. To make challenge achievements easier, try playing on lower difficulty levels.
- The Sound Of Silence (25 points)
Carried the Customized Lancer Marcus gave you to the end of Act V Chapter 2
The special Lancer is given to JD by Marcus Fenix during the events of Act 2 – Chapter 2: Geared Up. Everyone in the team gets one, and if you’re aiming to unlock this campaign achievement, you’ll need to lug the weapon all the way to the last chapter — specifically, Act 5 – Chapter 2.
To make sure you unlock this achievement, do not swap the Custom Lancer — always carry it in one of your weapon slots. Do not place it on the ground, ever. Basically, don’t let the Custom Lancer leave your person.
- Whoomp, There It Is! (5 points)
They Yanked, you Shanked
To earn this achievement, you’ll need to play co-op in campaign or horde mode. To unlock it, have a teammate yank an enemy from behind cover, then you need to attack the enemy with the knife. It isn’t so tough, here are the exact steps.
- Take cover directly behind where an enemy is standing.
- Have a teammate press [B] to yank an enemy over cover.
- While the enemy is stunned, press [Y] to insta-kill them with your knife.
That’s all it takes! You’ll unlock the achievement. A good place to finish this challenge is on Act 1 – Chapter 1. There’s a Yank and Shank tutorial early on versus DBs. It makes earning this achievement while playing coop a cinch.
- Stop Hitting Yourself (5 points)
Killed a Guardian with a Guardian weapon
This can be completed at any point in the campaign where at least two Guardians spawn, or in Horde Mode, but the easiest and earliest you can unlock this is in Act 1 – Chapter 4 during the defense of the settlement. Wait until the third wave of DBs and destroy the Guardian, then collect the Salvo launcher weapon.
Now all you have to do is keep it equipped and use it to take out another Guardian that spawns. The Guardians are the floating drones with energy shield barriers.
- Gone With The Windflare (5 points)
Killed 15 enemies using the environment during a windflare
To get this achievement, you’ll need to kill 15 enemies during a massive windstorm using only the environment. Go to Act 2 – Chapter 3 and reach the section where you’ll get to choose the left or right path. Choose the left path to unlock this achievement.
There are multiple dangerous objects you’ll want to target to kill enemies — look for anything held in place with white / orange safety barriers. Here’s what you’ll want to shoot, in order:
- Shoot the hay bails up the hill from the left path starting position.
- Shoot the hay bails on the right path.
- Reload last checkpoint.
That’s all it takes. This achievement is cumulative, so every kill is saved and counts toward your total.
- Triple Play (5 points)
Killed 3 enemies with a single Buzzkill shot
To easily unlock this achievement, start Act 3 – Chapter 4 and continue into the catacombs until you drop through the hole in the floor. The Buzzkill weapon is on a table straight ahead after dropping down.
The Buzzkill is a heavy weapon, you can’t hold onto it after switching weapons.
- Aim with the Buzzkill when you reach the long corridor filled with pods. Shoot at the pods as they begin to burst — and target the pods, too. Just keep shooting until the hallway is clear.
- Most likely, you’ll manage to get 3 kills with a single shot here. If you don’t, pause and restart the checkpoint to try again.
To help make your attempt easier, play on Casual difficulty.
- Zen and the Art of Reloading (5 points)
Perform 25 perfect active reloads
You’ll most likely unlock this achievement while playing the campaign. When using the active reload system, try to hit the bright (flashing) field. Performing a perfect active reload provides bonus bullets to whatever weapon you use — the bonus bullets are distinguished by their flashing icons on the weapon’s ammo counter.
- Killdozer (5 points)
Ran over 15 enemies with the Loader
The Loader appears in Act 4 – Chapter 1 at the Locust shell mine. Like other challenge achievements, the number of kills is saved between sessions — you only need to kill a global total of 15 enemies.
- Use the Loader to clear the Locust shells.
- Small enemies will spawn — kill as many as you can with the Loader.
- Pause and reload checkpoint to get more kills.
Repeat until the achievement pops.
- Pounsus Interruptus (5 points)
Killed a Pouncer mid-pounce with Shotgun or Chainsaw
Pouncers appear often, and you might unlock this achievement much earlier in the campaign, but if you’re looking for an early appearance, load up Act 5 – Chapter 1. There are 2 Pouncers at the start of the chapter.
- Shoot one of the Pouncers until it is almost dead. That’s when it will charge.
- Use a Shotgun or the chainsaw of the Lancer Mk. 2 to kill the Pouncer as it leaps.
- Aim very high with the shotgun — wait until it gets closer, you won’t be able to hit it unless you anticipate the jump.
If you miss, you can simply reload last checkpoint and try again. Getting the timing / aim right can be tricky, so it may take a few tries to get it right.
- I Live. I Die. I Live Again! (5 points)
Rescued someone from inside a Snatcher
This achievement can be earned with the AI — but it can be easier with a coop partner. Find a Snatcher at the end of Act 3 – Chapter 6 or in the beginning of Act 4 – Chapter 1. During the encounter, the ugly monster will stalk around and attempt to eat any downed teammate.
- To unlock this achievement, wait for an ally to go down. While in a downed state, don’t attempt to help them. Instead, wait for the Snatcher to eat them.
- When they’re eaten, shoot the glowing stomach pouch underneath the Snatcher’s torso to free your companion.
The tricky part is getting the AI to go down. The arena is fairly open, so it’s likely to happen if you don’t try to get the Snatcher’s attention. Let it hunt your AI, and don’t help them up.
- But You Can’t Pick Your Family (5 points)
Found 5 weapons in snot bubbles
Snot Bubbles appear in Act 3 – Chapter 2, right at the beginning. Like any death total achievements, this can also be boosted. Here’s all you need to do:
- There are two Snot Bubbles in Act 3 – Chapter 2.
- When you find Snot Bubbles, shoot them.
- Pick up the weapon to count toward your total.
- Pause and reload last checkpoint.
Do this three times, and you’ll get 5 weapons from Snot Bubbles.
More to come…
- Drop the Beat…down. (5 points)
Got 3 Dropshot headshots
- Now That’s a Knife! (5 points)
Killed 10 enemies with combat knife after yanking or kicking
- Look out! Uh… Never Mind (5 points)
Killed 25 enemies by dropping pods on them
Horde Mode Achievements
These achievements can only be completed in horde mode.
- At First I Was Afraid, I Was Petrified (10 points)
Survived the first 10 consecutive waves of Horde in a squad
- Tea. Earl Grey. Hot. (5 points)
Upgraded Fabricator to maximum level
- Stay Classy (10 points)
Reached level 10 in every launch Horde class
- Classy Move (5 points)
Reached level 10 in one Horde class
- Gold Digger (10 points)
Spent 100,000 power in the Fabricator (across all sessions)
- I’ve Killed Things, Seen Places (50 points)
Completed 50 consecutive waves of Horde in a squad on every Launch Series map
- Bilford Bogin! (25 points)
Completed 50 consecutive waves of Horde in a squad
- Sugar Daddy (10 points)
Deposited 1,000,000 power in the Fabricator lifetime
- Give a Name. Any Name. (20 points)
Completed 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Sniper on Insane in a squad (any map)
- I Have Approximate Knowledge of Many Things (20 points)
Completed 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Scout on Insane in a squad (any map)
- Oh What a Day! What a Lovely Day! (20 points)
Completed 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Soldier on Insane in a squad (any map)
- Job’s Done (20 points)
Completed 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Engineer on Insane in a squad (any map)
- I Choose Violence (20 points)
Completed 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Heavy on Insane in a squad (any map)
This section is dedicated to multiplayer-only achievements. These can be related to level, different game modes, or other factors — no matter what, you’ll need an online connection to earn these achievements.
- Level 10 (10 points)
Reached level 10
- I Have a Very Particular Set of Skills (5 points)
Upgraded a Skill Card to maximum level
- Level 50 (25 points)
Reached level 50
- Rollin’ With the Homies (5 points)
Earned the maximum Consecutive Match Bonus in Versus
- Chest Candy (10 points)
Earned one of each launch Ribbon
- Custom Made (5 points)
Won a Match using a non-Starter Character and non-default Weapon Skin
- Ranked and Filed (5 points)
Achieved a rank in all launch Core and Competitive game modes
- Master Craftsman (10 points)
Crafted a Legendary card
- Craftsman (5 points)
Crafted a card
- Call a Dr. If Lasting More than 4 Teammates (5 points)
Resurrected 4 teammates using the Fabricator
- Thank You, Sir. May I Have Another? (10 points)
- Please Sir, Can I Have Some More? (100 points)
Re-upped ten times
- It’s a Start (5 points)
Earned 1000 Credits lifetime
- Moving on up! (10 points)
Earned 10000 Credits lifetime.
- I’m Drumpf (20 points)
Earned 100000 Credits lifetime
- Skills That Make Me a Nightmare (10 points)
Upgraded 5 Skill cards to maximum level
- Big Ol Hero (5 points)
Got the “Big Ol Hero” Ribbon ten times
- Say Hello to My Little Friend (5 points)
Got the final winning kill in Arms Race
- Bounty Hunter (10 points)
Completed 20 Bounties
- How’s it Going to Work? Teamwork! (5 points)
Won a Casual Co-op Versus match
- Talent Gets Kills, Teamwork Wins Games! (5 points)
Won a Hardcore Co-op Versus match
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work! (5 points)
Won a Normal Co-op Versus match
- To Go Fast, Go Alone. To Go Far, Go Together (5 points)
Won an Insane Co-op Versus match
Seriously 4.0 – The Final Achievement
This insane achievement appears in every Gears of War title, and earning it will always be the last thing you do. Completing all the ribbons and re-ups is going to be a tough challenge. Finishing everything can take upwards of 100+ hours.
- Seriously 4.0 (200 points)
Completed Insane Campaign, ribbons, rank placements, Horde maps, re-ups, classes and five skills
Campaign Achievements – Story-Related [Secret]
Campaign achievements are unlocked as you complete events in each act. They can’t be missed.
- Ready for More (10 points)
Completed all Campaign Acts
- Learned the Hard Way (20 points)
Completed all Campaign Acts on Hardcore or Insane difficulty
- The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors (30 points)
Completed all Campaign Acts on Insane difficulty
- Brothers Till The End (20 points)
Completed all Campaign Acts in Co-op (any difficulty)
- Come And Knock on My Door (5 points)
Completed one Act in Co-op Campaign
- And We’re Back (5 points)
Completed the Prologue and watched opening credits
- And You Said We Couldn’t Fly (5 points)
Rode the ore transporter counterweight cable
- As If Snatchers Weren’t Bad Enough (5 points)
Survived the Pouncer ambush outside of the tram station
- Betty’s My Kind of Girl (5 points)
Fought your way to the Dam using Jack Jr. and Second Betty
- Broadcast This! (5 points)
Defeated the Speaker and his Swarmak mount
- Jinn’s Overreaction (5 points)
Defeated the Vulture while riding on a Track Mule
- Long Enough We’ll Need This (5 points)
Defended the Speyer Radio Tower while waiting for backup
- Looks Like an Elevator to Hell (5 points)
Rode the ore transporter to the bottom of the mine
- Not Going to Stop Us, Right? (5 points)
Defeated the Hive Boss
- One Hell of an Exhibit (5 points)
Survived the onslaught of Swarm while holding up in the museum
- Raiding is what Outsiders Do (5 points)
Liberated a Fabricator from Settlement 5
- Still Not Ironic (5 points)
Restored power to the Dam by resetting the generators
- Warriors, Kings….Wizards. (5 points)
Survived the King’s chamber and discovered a way out of the catacombs
- Welcome Home (5 points)
Escaped from your childhood home
- When it Leads to War (5 points)
Defended your Outsider Village from the COG
- You Smell Bad (5 points)
Rescued Marcus from the Snatcher pod
More coming soon…