Destiny: Rise of Iron – How to Get the Thorn Exotic | Weapon Quest Guide
On PS4 & Xbox One: The Thorn Exotic is back in Rise of Iron. Here’s what you’ll need to do to start (and complete) the Exotic Bounty quest.
The Thorn Hand Cannon gets a Year 3 incarnation in Destiny: Rise of Iron, and unlocking it should sound pretty familiar to veterans of the series. Like the original model, you’ll need to finish an Exotic Bounty quest to fully unlock this killer revolver. Check out the quick step-by-step guide below to fast-track your Thorn acquisition.
There are plenty more Year 1 Exotics returning in Rise of Iron. The Gjallarhorn gets an old-school update, and the Khvostov is enhanced with three alternating fire modes that can transform the weapon into any of the three main rifle categories. Both of these exotics also have their own unique quest chains to unlock, but they don’t drop randomly like the Thorn. They require very specific tasks — check out our exotic guides in the link bank below for more Exotic weapon tutorials.
Find even more Destiny: Rise of Iron articles on Gameranx:
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Wrath of the Machine Raid Heroic Difficulty Guide
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – The Comprehensive Outbreak Prime Exotic Guide
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – The Complete Wrath of the Machine Raid Guide
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – How to Beat All ‘Wrath of the Machine’ Bosses
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Wrath of the Machine | All Exotic Chest Locations
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Complete Achievements / Trophies Guide
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Everything New | Exotics, Artifacts, Trophies & More
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Dormant SIVA Clusters Locations Guide
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Play SIVA Crisis Playlist To Earn 350-365+ Light
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – How to Get the Iron Gjallarhorn Exotic | Quest Guide
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – How to Get the Khvostov 7G-0X Exotic | Quest Guide
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – How to Get Iron Lord Artifacts & What They Do
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Ghost Fragment Collectibles | Crucible Locations
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Rank Up at the Crucible Fast | Reputation Farming Guide
- Destiny: Rise of Iron – Increase Your Light Level With These Tips
How to Get the Thorn Exotic | Weapon Quest Guide
The Thorn Hand Cannon, one of the most-hated Exotics in Destiny Year 1, can now be collected in Rise of Iron. Like the original, the Exotic Bounty is a random drop from completing any regular Bounty missions.
- How to Get the Exotic Thorn Bounty Quest: Complete bounties — it will randomly drop. Confirmed to work for Shiro’s Weekly Vanguard Bounties by Redditor SteviaSteve, but other Bounty-Givers might also work.
Once you’ve got the actual quest, here’s what you’ll need to accomplish for the Bounty.
- Step #1: Complete “The Wretched Eye” strike and defeat Kovik at the end. Can be completed on Normal or Heroic difficulty.
- Step #2: Kill Fallen in the Plaguelands Patrol — Need to kill about 500 Fallen faction enemies.
- Step #3: Earn 125 kills in the Crucible using only Void damage. Cannot be Private matches, and any deaths will not set back your total void-kill counter.
- Step #4: Consume 5 motes of light — Motes of Light are rewarded for earning XP past Level 40, a random Crucible drop, or a random drop from dismantling gear.
- Step #5: Find a Skeleton Key, which is a random drop in Strikes, and take it to the Strike Hoard at the end of the “The Abomination Heist” Strike. Completing the quest “None Are Perfect” is guaranteed to drop one free Skeleton Key.
And that’s it! That’s how to unlock your Year 3 Thorn, and fancy it up with the Rose Exotic adornment to make this Hand Cannon even more ostentatious.