Pokemon GO: How to Earn Any Eevee Evolution Every Single Time
On iOS & Android: Pokemon fans might’ve cracked the code behind Eevee’s evolutions. Check out this trick to get Jolteon, Vaporeon, or Flareon every time.
According to a series of discussions on the Pokemon Go reddit, the code to unlocking a guaranteed eeveelution is hidden in a reference to the Pokemon TV show. By nicknaming your Eevee one of three specific names, it is seemingly possible to earn a Jolteon, Vaporeon, or Flareon every single time.
This method has been extensively tested by the community, but there are still some lingering doubts. Let’s call this trick a very-likely — server issues may be causing problems for players in some areas. Whatever the case, this is just too cool to pass up. Give it a try for yourself, and let us know if it worked for you. Find the full nickname trick below.
More Pokemon GO tips, tricks, and FAQs:
- Pokemon GO: 9 Essential Tips, Tricks & Answers To Your Questions
- Pokemon GO: How to Become A Gym Leader
- Pokemon GO: How to Earn Coins (Fast) & What They’re Used For
- Pokemon GO: Where to Find (And Catch) Pokemon | Spawn Locations
- Pokemon GO: iOS & Android Compatibility – Which Versions Work
- Pokemon GO: Easy Ways to Earn XP & Level Up Fast
- Pokemon GO: How to Take In-Game Screenshots
Eevee Evolution – How to Get Jolteon, Flareon, or Vaporeon
Experienced Pokemon hunters already know, but for those of you new to the wide world of Pokemon, the Eevee is a unique specimen. Instead of a single evolution path like most, it can become multiple types depending on stones, time of day, and many other factors we won’t get into here.
In Pokemon GO, Eevee can evolve into Jolteon, Flareon, or Vaporeon — until now, these evolutions seemed totally at random. You got a 33.33% chance, and that was that. No special factors influenced the end results.
After careful experimentation (I.E. some friends got together and tested it) redditor smithnigel believes he’s cracked the code behind eeveelution. Here’s how it works.
Eeveelution Trick Guide
After catching an Eevee, you’ll get to nickname it. Nickname the Pokemon one of these three names to earn the corresponding eeveelution.
- Nickname: Sparky
- Evolves into: Jolteon
- Nickname: Rainer
- Evolves into: Vaporeon
- Nickname: Pyro
- Evolves into: Flareon
These are the names of the three Eevee brothers that Ash encounters on one episode of the Pokemon TV show. This is a pretty neat reference for Niantic, the developers of Pokemon Go. Here’s hoping there are even more hidden Easter eggs to discover.
While this trick has been corroborated by many posters in the Reddit threat, there are those that have encountered problems. Follow these steps and see what limitations you might have to deal with when using this trick:
- Due to server issues, it is recommended that you input the desired nickname after capturing an Eevee, then close the app and restart to make sure your nickname is saved.
- Only one nickname-based eeveelution can occur at a time. It may be impossible to earn the same one twice in a row. Try using different nicknames to earn one of all three types.
- Eevee are usually found in parks / rural areas, so dense urban locations might not have a ready supply of Eevee!
This method has spread like wildfire throughout the Pokemon GO community. Here’s hoping it works for you, too!