Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Tutorial – First Steps Into Dite
Survival is just a state of mind. Let’s get started right on our full walkthrough for Metal Gear Survive.
Welcome to the full walkthrough for Metal Gear Survive. The alternate dimension world of Dite is a hellscape, and you’ll have to carefully manage your supplies to survive for long. Unlike other Metal Gear games in the long-running series, there’s no Snake in sight. This one is all about exploration, crafting, and fending off a seemingly endless horde of the undead.
When you first gain control, you’ll drop into a strange story mode. As a survivor of the Mother Base incident, shown in flashbacks to the ending of Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, you’ll have to navigate a spooky ruin and work with a former enemy to escape and reach the Base Camp. The tutorial is fairly straightforward and simple, so let’s get started.
More Metal Gear Survive walkthroughs on Gameranx:
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 1 – Hunger & Thirst
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 2 – First Memory Board
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 3 – Into The Dust
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 4 – The Wormhole Transporter
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 5 – Rescue The Castaway
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 6 – Exploring Ruins 01
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 7 – Secure The Digger
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 8 – Defend The Digger
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 9 – Secure The Singularity
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 10 – Rescue The Kid
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 11 – Exploring Ruins 02
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 12 – Rescue The Cop
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 13 – Secure Singularity 02
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 14 & 15 – Escape Dite
- Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Chapter 16 – New Map, New Memory Board
Metal Gear Survive Walkthrough | Tutorial
Objective: Get through the ruins
Now that we’re in control, it’s first order of business – get to Base Camp. You’ll see the bright green lights in the far distance. Past the helicopter crash site, use the broken containers to jump across. Hold [X / A] to leap across the gaps and climb up to the fence with another container – climb over it too to reach the base interior. Push open the door, and you’ll encounter an XOF operative.
After the cutscene, you’ll get your first gun – a simple pistol. Hold [L2 / LT] to aim and squeeze [R2 / RT] to fire. There are too many zombies to fight, so just run straight ahead! More undead will break down the fences, so you’ll need to move fast. Collect extra ammo on the corpses, and continue up the stairs and back down to escape.
Climb over the obstacle, and you’ll meet the XOF operative again. The following codec conversation will settle some ground rules – you’re trapped in Dite, another dimension, and it’s a place destroyed by undead lifeforms called Wanderers. Reeve is your new best friend, and Goodluck is on the radio, providing assistance.
Objective: Secure an escape route
When the cutscene is over, you’ll need to learn how to craft a weapon. Collect materials in the room – buckets, chunks of metal, anything you can pick up – until you have enough resources to craft. At the crafting table, create the Pipe Spear (a melee weapon) and equip it. Use your new weapon to bust down the wooden barricade and continue on your way.
Reeve will plant C4 to bring down the ruin while you find an escape route. Down in the sewer, you’ll encounter a Wanderer – you don’t have to fight them all. Use stealth! Stay low and move slowly, staying out of sight, and you can avoid unnecessary encounters.
Sneak up on the second wanderer and backstab it. This is an effective way to silence undead without drawing attention. It’s also a powerful technique against special undead like armored or bomber wanderers. Outside, crawl under the pipes and climb the ladder. Up top, you’ll get a glimpse of the ruined Mother Base and complete the opening tutorial. There’s still a long ways to go before we get into the real meat of the game.
More Metal Gear Survive guides on Gameranx:
- Metal Gear Survive: 8 Tactical Tips To Help You Survive | Getting Started Guide
- Metal Gear Survive: Where To Find All Recipes | Locations Guide
- Metal Gear Survive: How To Get Materials & Kuban Fast | Farming Guide
- Metal Gear Survive: How To Get Clean Water & Potatoes | Hunger & Thirst Guide
- Metal Gear Survive: Trophy List