Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: Version Differences Guide | Exclusive Pokemon List
Check out the complete list of exclusive Pokemon found in each version of Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, and everything else you need to know.
Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are almost coming fast, and as with every major Pokémon title, there are two different versions for you to choose from. Each variant comes with alternate content you can experience — mostly centered around the different Legendaries you can collect from past games, but there’s more than that.
We’re also going to dip into what makes “Ultra” so different from the past games in the series — most importantly, what sets it apart from regular old Pokémon Sun and Moon. This is an entirely different game, with a new story, new features, and new Pokémon. It’s set in the Alola Region, just like Sun and Moon, but there’s much more to this alternate-universe story, and it’s all centered around Necrozma, the mysterious legendary Ultra Beast found at the end of Sun and Moon.
More Pokémon Ultra Sun & Moon guides on Gameranx:
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Catch Every Legendary | Ultra Wormholes Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Farm BP Fast | Beach Surfing Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Get Totem Pokemon | All 100 Sticker Locations
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Get Ultra Necrozma | Legendary Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: Level Up Fast With SOS Chansey | Easy XP Farming Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: Where To Get Free Pokemon | Gift NPC Locations
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Boost Stats Fast | EV Training Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: Island Scan Guide | Full Schedule & Locations
Version Differences Guide | Exclusive Pokemon List
Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are totally new story experiences, with a completely new story to tell. Instead of dealing with Team Skull and the Aether Foundation, you’ll battle a team of evil villains from the past — including Team Rocket’s Giovanni as their leader. The game features an alternate story that’s completely new, and delves into the origins of Necrozma, one of the Ultra Beasts your trainer can encounter in the end-game of Sun and Moon.
New & Version Exclusive Ultra Beasts
The Ultra Beasts are mysterious creatures, first introduced in Sun and Moon. They’re Pokémon that you can catch and train, but they’re also aliens from another dimension — and they’re pretty strange, even compared to the weirdos already in your Pokedex.
- New Ultra Beasts:
- Necrozma (Dusk Mane)
- Necrozma (Dawn Wings)
Like the legendary Pokémon you’ll fight and capture at the end of Pokémon Sun and Moon, Necrozma appears in two alternate forms — Dusk Mane & UB-Burst is exclusive to Ultra Sun, and Dawn Wings & UB-Assembly is exclusive to Ultra Moon.
New Forms & Z-Moves
Not all the new forms have been revealed, but we do know that several old Pokémon are getting a facelift in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Dusk Form Lycanroc, Partner Cap Pikachu, and the already-listed Dusk Mane / Dawn Wings forms of Necrozma are all new and exclusive to Ultra.
Oh, and Necrozma, Mimikyu, Lycanroc and more are gaining exclusive Z-Moves that are accessed through the Z-Power-Ring, a new Z-Ring that gives you access to even more Z-Moves for your favorite Pokémon.
An Alternate Universe
The story of Ultra Moon and Sun is completely new, and all the major characters and plot points will play out (generally!) the same way between the two versions. But, there are two minor differences.
- Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon are set 12 hours apart.
- This difference is visible on your in-game clock.
- Depending on your version, you’ll encounter different members of the Ultra Recon Squad.
- Pokémon Sun players will encounter Dulse & Zossie
- Pokémon Moon players will encounter Soliera & Phyco
All The Version Exclusive Pokemon
Like with any Pokémon game, the biggest factor to help you decide on your version is which Pokémon the game actually includes. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon each have version exclusive Pokémon — you can trade for them later, but they won’t be found in the world, so you won’t be able to catch them all without a friend.
Generally, the Ultra games feature the same exclusives as Sun and Moon, but you’ll find some new faces and Legendaries thrown in the mix. Old Legendaries, old Pokémon, and Totem-Sized Pokémon have all been added to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Every Legendary from the entire series will appear in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, so pick wisely!
- Ultra Sun Exclusive Pokémon:
- Alolan Nintetales
- Alolan Vulpix
- Buzzwole [Legendary]
- Dialga [Legendary]
- Dusk Mane Necrozma [Legendary]
- Heatran [Legendary]
- Ho-oh [Legendary]
- Groudon [Legendary]
- Kartana [Legendary]
- Latios [Legendary]
- Lurantis [Totem]
- Raikou [Legendary]
- Reshiram [Legendary]
- Tornadus [Legendary]
- UB-Burst [Legendary]
- Xerneas [Legendary]
- Ultra Moon Exclusive Pokémon:
- Alolan Sandshrew
- Alolan Sandslash
- Celesteela [Legendary]
- Dawn Wings Necrozma [Legendary]
- Entei [Legendary]
- Kyogre [Legendary]
- Latias [Legendary]
- Palkia [Legendary]
- Pheromosa [Legendary]
- Regigigas [Legendary]
- Lugia [Legendary]
- Lunala [Legendary]
- Salazzle [Totem]
- Thundurus [Legendary]
- UB-Assembly [Legendary]
- Yveltal [Legendary]
- Zekrom [Legendary]
And that’s all the important stuff. There are other small changes, but if you’re looking for a particular Pokémon, it’s time to start skimming through those Pokedexes to see what you’re missing.
Find even more Pokemon Sun & Moon guides, how-to’s and tutorials on Gameranx:
- 20 Useful Tips & Tricks Pokemon Sun / Moon Doesn’t Tell You
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 100% Zygarde Guide | Cores & Cells Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: The Best Shiny Pokemon Farming Method
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Efficiently Level Up Poke Pelago
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Find These NPCs For Free Pokemon | Gifts Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Easy Way to Raise Happiness | Friendship Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How To Stop Evolutions | No Everstone Required
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Everything You Need to Know About Pikachu
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Get Your Munchlax Mystery Gift & Snorlium-Z Now
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Get Sungaleo / Lunala | Legendaries Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Where to Find New Moves | All TM Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Generation 7 Evolution Requirements Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Learn New Pokeball Throw Styles
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Catch Ditto | Rare Pokemon Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Boost Base Stats Fast | EV Farming Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All Pokemon QR Codes | Complete Gallery
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Evolve | Evolution Stones Locations Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 6 New Features That Change Everything
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Transfer Pokedex | Compatibility Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All the Version Exclusive Pokemon | Full List
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Demo Secrets Guide & Special Events Calendar
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Preload Available Now | How to Get 12 Free Quick Balls