Super Mario Odyssey: Here’s What You Unlock For Getting Every Moon | 100% Completion Guide
Here’s what you’ll unlock for collecting all 883 moons in Super Mario Odyssey. Don’t get too excited. [Now updated with 999 moons!]
We’re all curious to see what happens when you collect every single moon in Super Mario Odyssey. Previous Mario games (sometimes, rarely) featured cool stuff at the end of the collectibles road, while others featured — well, practically no reward at all. Super Mario Odyssey is a little mixture of both. Some parts of the last, last, super-last unlockable are kind of neat, and another is a reminder of painful memories past. If you’ve ever hunted down all the shines in Super Mario Sunshine, you’ll know what we’re talking about.
One thing we weren’t prepared for — there are an insane amount of moons in Super Mario Odyssey. To reach 100% completion, you’ll need to grab a grand total of 883 moons. That’s, like, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild levels of total insanity. Unlike that amazing Zelda game, Mario Odyssey gives you some helping hands when it comes to moons — you can pay Hint Toads to find those missing moons, or you can talk to the, uhm, Talkatoo NPC for free clues. You can also open up your map to see which sections of a map you haven’t fully explored yet, just open up the “List” menu.
[Updated! — Now includes unlockables when you collect 999 moons. That’s the max amount of moons.]
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $48.66Was: $59.99
Price: $12.88Was: $19.99
Price: $23.00Was: $24.99
Price: Check on Amazon
More Super Mario Odyssey guides on Gameranx:
- Super Mario Odyssey: 10 Tips & Tricks To Help You Get Started | Beginner’s Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: How To Access 2 Extra, Bonus Kingdoms | Secrets Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: All Hidden Portrait Warp Zones Locations | Secrets Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: Here’s Where To Find Yoshi | Secrets Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: How To Farm Gold Coins Fast | Easy Moons Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: How To Answer Pauline’s Quiz & Find Her Present
- Super Mario Odyssey: All Captain Toad Locations | Collectibles Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: All Goombette Locations | Collectibles Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: All Musical Toad Locations | Collectibles Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: All Princess Peach Locations | Collectibles Guide
100% Completion Unlockables Guide
If you’re able to collect all 883 (!) Moons in Super Mario Odyssey, here’s what you’ll unlock.
- The Odyssey’s sail will turn gold.
- A new portrait of Bowser will appear in the Wedding Hall.
- The Wedding Hall is located on the Moon Kingdom.
You can also collect up to 999 Moons — just spend cash at the Crazy Cap shops and buy up all the moons until you hit the maximum amount.
- Go back to Princess Peach’s Castle in the Mushroom Kingdom, and you’ll find something new — you can kick off a celebratory fireworks show whenever you want.
- Activate the scarecraw to the left of the castle, climb the stairs, then hit the second scarecrow to create a pole. Shimmy up to the top of the huge hat and swing Cappy at the metal piece in the center to start the fireworks show.
That doesn’t sound like a whole lot, but take a trip to the Moon Kingdom and check out the portrait for a surprise. The new portrait is located on the right as you enter, and lets you re-fight Bowser with a twist.
The final battle is far more difficult this time around, and it’s the last possible challenge you can overcome as Mario. What do you get for beating the final challenge in Super Mario Odyssey?
- For beating the 100% completion Bowser battle, you’ll get…
- A postcard! Yup. Another postcard.
Since Super Mario Sunshine, postcards have been the grand reward for doing everything in the game. Basically, they exist just to say “Thank you!” to the player — but they’re a pretty lame reward. If you value your sanity, don’t go nuts hunting all 883 moons hoping for an awesome reward.